Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Word Fix At 56: Week 21 ~The Train~

~The Train~


I sipped my beer and peered closer at the old yellowing newspaper cutting in it's glass frame on the wall. 'Train plunges into river from damaged bridge, no survivors'. I shivered. It was the same train I had seen go roaring past me just two hours earlier. The clipping was dated exactly 60 years ago today. 

NB: "Word Fix At 56" is a weekly challenge co-hosted by Anders and Linda. A photo/picture is posted and those who enter have to write an original piece to go with it in exactly 56 words. It can be a poem, verse or story. 

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy :-)) The photo isn't mine, it was the one provided for the challenge by the admins.

      Delete
  2. Now that is one after my own heart - loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I thought you might like it :-))

      Delete
  3. Oh I love it ... sounds like the beginnings of a truly captivating novel .... I almost want you to continue ~grin~ ... BRILLIANTLY done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. The first drafts were more like a full short story, I had to do a lot of editing to get it to fit :-))

      Delete
  4. terrific, Mitch!!

    such a 'happy tale' , too....LOL

    Thanks for joining us this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Writing 'happy' is just not my style. LOL!!

      Delete
  5. I would like to read more... fabulous write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Mitch. Were you thinking of the one that happened here when you wrote your clip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shayna. No, I hadn't got any particular real incident in mind, it's just what came to mind looking at the photo :-))

      Delete
  7. Sorry about my late reply. Wonderful take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete